In my last post I wrote about our honeymoon. Today, I want to write about what consumed all of my time since then. As an engineering student the last two semesters you have to take senior design 1 & 2. The first semester (senior design 1) you do all of the design work and in the second semester (senior design 2) you implement it.
For our senior design project my group built a flight simulator for a local flight instructor. We built and coded all of the gauges ourselves. For the last two weeks of school I never got home before Lora was already asleep. Most nights not before 2:00. Then, when the day came to do our demo, we plugged everything in and were having problems. We troubleshot it as much as we could before we had to move it to the demo location. Then, after our presentation, we went downstairs to show our demo, and we hadn’t finished setting up the simulator yet so Chris, one of my group members hurried to plug everything in. The next thing I see is a puff of smoke rising from the back of our cockpit as the last of the committee members walked through the door. It was the most horrifying moment in my academic career.
That night we worked until 2:30am testing each device to make sure nothing was damaged. Lucky for us the only thing we fried was a usb cord and a powered usb hub. Apparently, the exposed end of one of the usb plugs was sitting against the back of one of our boards when we plugged everything in. Once we finished testing everything and getting it properly plugged in, it worked fine and we were able to demo it that Friday.
You can read more about our project at our senior design website. On the site, there’s also a video of our simulator in action and some pictures of our project but since it wouldn’t be a post without a picture, here’s what it looked like all set up.